THE Mk1 MODULAR FISHWAY
- Less than half the cost of pool and weir fish passes
- May be financed in stages
- High benefit/cost ratio
- Can be supplied in increments of one metre
- Small size allows for installation in narrow mill races
- Can be used as a temporary installation
- Low cost makes multi fish passes economic
- Can be fitted with a fish counter
- Capacity over 500 fish per hour
- Aerates the water
- Accommodates all migratory species
- Difficult to poach
- Independent comparative tests have shown that salmon prefer it to pool and weir passes.
- Can be fitted with a trapping facility
- Can be used with compound gauging weirs to provide high weirs with ascent facilities without affecting river flow measuring accuracy.
- Operates at flows as low as 100 l/s although attraction water is also required.
A) Excellent energy dissipating capabilities giving a variation in velocity of only 17% between a 1 in 3 slope (0.99 m/s) to 1 in 6 (0.82 m/s) for Mk1 units.
- the operating effect of the turbulence caused by the improves water quality.
- ease of ascent for migratory fish,
- will operate with flows as low as 100 1/s,
- shorter fishpasses = less cost.
B) Small size 570mm wide and 700mm, 1000mm and 1400mm in height, for Mk1 units.
- allows for installation in narrow mill races, weirs and culverts and the Mk1 units can be cast into a fairly simple concrete channel
- reduced civils and temporary works cost.
C) Flexibility - The Mk1 Modular Fishway Units come in 1 metre lengths, each unit is made up from three sections, a base and two sides. (The sides come in variable heights).
- the Mk1 units can be unbolted and transported across country by two men,
- assembled in tight situations such as culverts and tunnels,
- can be designed to bypass most man-made or natural obstructions to migratory fish such as waterfalls, dams, weirs, mills, locks, barrages, and span depressions etc.
- Cost effective.
D) Strength, rigid sections in aluminium, or stainless steel (and other).
- with sufficient acrow ties or support Mk1 units will act as their own shuttering therefore reducing installation cost. The Mk1 units are self supporting and when bolted together can be installed across depressions and fixed to rock faces.
- Can be made virtually poacher proof.
E) Aesthetically attractive.
- can be designed to fit unobtrusively into any local beauty spot, especially when clad to match existing structures.